Saturday, June 19, 2010

Kittenhead Felted Wool Pin Cushions

1" to 2.5" dia. brown ash kittenhead baskets with sawtooth edge and felted wool pin cushion

A friend of mine got me into wet felting awhile back. She was making beads for bracelets and necklaces and they turned out really well. I thought it was such a cool technique, but I really didn't know what I was going to do with it though. Then I made a 2.5" kittenhead basket with a sawtooth rim and new I had found the perfect use for new found craft.

I have ended up using a combination of needle and wet felting to make these pin cushions. After making a core of plain wool I then add a layer of space dyed wool which I tack down with a felting needle. This makes the wet felting step a bit easier as I don't have to worry about my final layer shifting around on me too much. Of course judging the final size is a bit of a trick as the volume of wool reduces dramatically as it felts together.

1 comment:

  1. I really REALLY like those. I tried felting years ago. The space dyed felt looks very nice.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete